|Released||December 12, 2014|
|Label|| Atlantic Records|
|Format||Digital download, CD (with album)|
|Producer|| Marina Diamandis|
|Froot track listing|
|"Happy" is track number 1.|
| Previous track|
| Next track|
"Happy" is a song written by Marina Diamandis, registered on Warner/Chappell. It is the second single from Diamandis' thrid studio album, Froot. The song was the second Froot of the Month, and the Froot was a lemon.
Background and compositionEdit
Diamandis described the song as difficult to write, taking over three months to complete the lyrics. After initially writing a verse, she was unsure of what emotion the chorus should express.
The song received critical acclaim from reviewers. Bradley Stern from Idolator called the track a "gentle, soul-searing ballad" with an "underlying message of hope". Michael Cragg of The Guardian said the track sounded "utterly redemptive" and that the line 'I believe in possibility' refracted like "sun from a cloud". Michelle Geslani from Consequence of Sound said "the song is a bare-bones ballad that's quietly backed only by the delicate purr of a piano. However, its austerity serves as its greatest strength and allows the Welsh singer to convey joy and exultation on her own terms — intimately, with much contemplation, and through the use of her emotive, porcelain-like vocals."
Although the song was not released as a single, upon release it reached number 1 on iTunes in 9 countries, number 6 in the US, and got to ten in the UK. The song managed to chart in several countries across Europe.
Commercial Performance and Charts Edit
Happy along with the lead single Froot (song) was a success across Europe peaking at number 74 in the UK with 2,214 copies sold.
|Ireland Singles Chart||68|
|Finland Singles Chart||26|
|Sweden Singles Chart||37|
|Denmark Singles Chart||91|
|UK Top 100 Singles||74|
The song didn't have an official video but was released as an acoustic band video on Marina's YouTube channel. Premiered on December 18, 2014. As of August 2016, the video has 1,761,510 views.
|Premiere||December 18, 2014|
- ↑ WW010425831000
- ↑ "Track by track of Froot - Marina And The Diamonds." YouTube. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- ↑ http://www.idolator.com/7573756/marina-and-the-diamonds-happy-listen-froot-ballad
- ↑ http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/dec/19/the-playlist-pop-marina-and-the-diamonds-madeon-skrillex
- ↑ http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/12/marina-and-the-diamonds-premiere-new-song-happy-listen/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/MarinasDiamonds/status/543357394022326273
- ↑ http://www.charly1300.com/irelanddigital/irelanddigital22.htm
- ↑ http://www.charly1300.com/finlanddigital/finlanddigital22.htm
- ↑ http://www.charly1300.com/swedendigital/swedendigital22.htm
- ↑ http://www.charly1300.com/denmarkdigital/denmarkdigital22.htm
- ↑ http://www.charly1300.com/ukdigital/ukdigital22.htm