|Released||October 11, 2010|
|Label||679 Recordings, Atlantic Records|
|Producer||Liam Howe, Pascal Gabriel|
|The Family Jewels track listing|
|"Shampain" is track number 2.|
| Previous track|
"Are You Satisfied?"
| Next track|
"I Am Not a Robot"
"Shampain" (registered as "Sham Pain") is a song by Welsh singer-songwritter Marina and the Diamonds. The song was written by Marina Diamandis, Liam Howe and Pascal Gabriel, and produced by Howe and Gabriel. It's the second song and sixth single from her first studio album The Family Jewels.
When asked what "Shampain" was about and the production behind the song, Diamandis said:
"['Shampain' is about] the depressing side of getting drunk, the obliteration side of having a good time. This was actually the first co-write that I ever did... It was good to write a simpler pop song because when I write on my own the melodies are all over the place. It was good to do something a little bit lighter, and this probably is my lightest track on a record. It's about insomnia and the joys of champagne."
On co-writing, she added: "I hate [co-writing] so I do it because it's so challenging for me. As soon as I do it I am really pleased that I have. I've had the pleasure of working with three great people... "Shampain" was written with Liam Howe, Pascal Gabriel and we had a lot of fun doing it."
"Shampain" was released as the sixth and final single from The Family Jewels on October 11, 2010 only in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Commercial performance and Charts Edit
The song was a minor hit in the UK reaching number 141 on the UK singles chart.
|UK Singles Chart||141|
Use in television Edit
"Shampain" was used in an episode of the BBC Switch teen soap opera The Cut in December 2009. The song had the working title of "The Shampain Sleeper" in 2009.
Music video Edit
|Premiere||September 6, 2010|
|Filmed||August 24, 2010|
The video was directed by Kim Gehri and shot in a park from London in August 24, 2010.
Behind the Scenes Edit
Official versions Edit
- Album version — 3:11
- Instrumental version — 3:11
- Album Sampler version (also known as "Sham Pain" or "The Shampain Sleeper") — 3:13
- Marina Diamandis — Piano, Songwritting, Vocals
- Ash Howes — Additional keys, Additional production, Additional programming, Mixing
- Dougal Lott — Assistant engineer
- Liam Howe — Additional piano, Bass, Electric guitar, Production, Programming, Songwritting, Synths
- Pascal Gabriel — Production, Programming, Songwritting
- Richard Stannard — Additional keys, Additional production, Aditional programming, Mixing
- Richard Wikinson — Engineering
- Steve Durham — Drums
- Published by Warner Chappell and Sony ATV
- Recorded at Biffco Studios (Brighton), The Ivory Tower, Konk Studios (London)