|This article is about the album. To see alternate articles, check out the song with the same name.|
|The Family Jewels|
|Studio album by Marina and the Diamonds|
|Released||February 15, 2010|
|Format||Digital download, CD, Vinyl (2010 Press & 2015 Re-Issue)|
|Producer||Marina Diamandis, Pascal Gabriel, Liam Howe, Ash Howes, Greg Kurstin, Richard "Biff" Stannard, Starsmith|
|Marina and the Diamonds chronology|
|Singles from The Family Jewels|
The Family Jewels is described primarily as an indie rock and new wave record, with lyrical themes that Marina identifies as "the seduction of commercialism, modern social values, family and female sexuality." 
Marina further describes the album as "a really diverse album stylistically speaking because I'm such a flexible writer, so there's a lot of pop on it, but there's kind of a lot of leftfield experimental stuff as well. It's basically an album about what not to be." 
“Obsessions” was the first single from the album, which was released on November 19th 2008. The music video was released a year later on YouTube on December 25th 2009.
"Hollywood" was the album’s fourth single, which was released digitally on January 29th 2010 and physically on February 1st 2010. It reached number twelve on the UK Singles Chart, marking Marina’s first major single release.
"Shampain" was released as the album's sixth and final single, which was released on October 11th 2010, exclusive only in the UK and Ireland. The single reached number 141 on the UK Singles Chart. 
Commercial performance Edit
The Family Jewels debuted at number five on the UK Albums Chart and sold 27,618 copies within the first week of sales; It currently remains Marina's best-selling debut week, after her second studio album Electra Heart entered the chart at number one with first-week sales of 21,358 units. Since the album's release, The Family Jewels has sold 195,358 copies in the United Kingdom as of April 2015 and has been certified Gold by the British Phonographic Industry, and had sold 195,358 copies in the United Kingdom as of April 2015. The record debuted at number seven in Greece and number nine in Ireland; it was eventually certified gold by the Irish Recorded Music Association.
The Family Jewels performed moderately on the European countries. The album debuted number twelve on the German Media Control Charts and charted on the Ö3 Austria Top 40 at number 18. It also peaked at number 88 on the Dutch MegaCharts, number 100 on the Swiss Hitparade and number 132 in France.
Aside from Europe, the album entered several other international album charts. In Oceania, the album reached number 79 on the Australian ARIA Charts. In the United States, The Family Jewels entered the Billboard 200 at number 138 and within the first-week sales, sold 4,000 copies. The record also charted at number 2 on Billboard Top Heat seekers and number 49 on the Top Rock Albums charts respectively. As of 2013 The Family Jewels has sold 400,000 copies worldwide.
The album reached number 87 in the UK year-end chart.
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||195,358^|
The Family Jewels Tour Edit
Main Article: The Family Jewels Tour
Additionally, the album was promoted by Marina's first headlining tour, The Family Jewels Tour, which visited Australia, Europe and North America. Marina played 135 shows in total from January 2010 through December 2011. Marina also served as an opening act for Katy Perry on her California Dreams Tour in Summer 2011 and for Coldplay on their Mylo Xyloto Tour in December 2011.
The Family Jewels received mostly positive reviews. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalised rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 68, based on 21 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews". Hugh Montgomery of Q magazine noted that the album presented a range of different styles, skipping "from glam-disco ('Shampain') and bubblegum punk ('Girls') to quavering piano laments ('Obsessions') and cabaret ditties ('Hermit The Frog')", adding that the singer's "imaginative reach" was "complemented by a winning pop savviness." giving it 4 stars out of 5. Leonie Cooper from NME rated the album nine out of ten stars and wrote, "An album with a distinct dual personality, Marina's dazzling The Family Jewels pitches the confident, MTV Awards-headlining superstar of our dreams against a more self-deprecating girl-next-door Marina who's dead set on Supertramping and vamping her way out of her fug." However, The Independent 's Andy Gill gave the album a negative review saying it "demonstrates the inevitable workings of entropy on pop methodology" and describes "Shampain" and "Hermit the Frog" as "every bit as annoying as their punning titles, with queasy, prancing piano and synth figures labouring away methodically, Mika-fashion, while she searches unsuccessfully for worthwhile lyrical routes".
The NME placed the album at number thirty-three on its list of the Top 75 Albums of 2010.
|1.||"Are You Satisfied?"||Marina Diamandis||Liam Howe, Richard "Biff" Stannard, Ash Howes||3:21|
|2.||"Shampain"||Diamandis, Howe, Pascal Gabriel||Gabriel, Howe, Stannard (additional)||3:11|
|3.||"I Am Not a Robot"||Diamandis||Howe||3:35|
|4.||"Girls"||Diamandis, Howe, Gabriel||Gabriel, Howe||3:28|
|5.||"Mowgli's Road"||Diamandis, Howe||Howe||3:12|
|7.||"Hollywood"||Diamandis||Stannard, Howes, Starsmith (original production)||3:50|
|8.||"The Outsider"||Diamandis||Howe, Diamandis||3:17|
|9.||"Hermit the Frog"||Diamandis||Howe, Diamandis (additional)||3:35|
|10.||"Oh No!"||Diamandis, Greg Kurstin||Kurstin||3:02|
|11.||"Rootless"||Diamandis, Howe, Gabriel||Gabriel, Howe||3:28|
|13.||"Guilty"||Diamandis, Stannard, Howes||Stannard, Howes||3:40|
- The US edition of the album replaces "Rootless" with "Seventeen" and features the single version of "Hollywood". The track order was also changed in the latter half of the album.
- ↑ http://www.nme.com/news/marina-and-the-diamonds/48651
- ↑ http://www.clashmusic.com/news/marina-on-musical-background
- ↑ https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/mowglis-road-space-woods-single/id339149219
- ↑ http://www.marinaandthediamonds.com/news,i-am-not-a-robot-will-be-marinas-next-single-in-the-uk_37.htm
- ↑ http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/marina%20and%20the%20diamonds/
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Charts_Company
- ↑ http://www.marinaandthediamonds.com/blog,oh-yes_93.htm
- ↑ http://www.officialcharts.com/artist/_/marina%20and%20the%20diamonds/
- ↑ http://www.zobbel.de/cluk/CLUK_M.HTM
- ↑ http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/derulo-and-gaga-take-chart-honours/041986
- ↑ http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a393502/newton-faulkner-sells-just-16k-to-get-number-one-album.html#~oCv69qxTB7hDil
- ↑ http://www.bpi.co.uk/certified-awards/search.aspx
- ↑ http://www.musicweek.com/businessanalysis/read/official-charts-analysis-kendrick-lamar-first-rapper-since-2013-to-top-albums-chart-with-sales-of-29-695/061251
- ↑ http://greekcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Marina+%26+The+Diamonds&titel=The+Family+Jewels&cat=a
- ↑ http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p%2Fmusicvideo%2Fmusic%2Farchive%2Findex_test.jsp&ct=240002&arch=t&lyr=2010&year=2010&week=8
- ↑ http://www.irishcharts.ie/awards/gold10.htm
- ↑ http://www.officialcharts.de/album.asp?artist=Marina+%26+The+Diamonds&title=The+Family+Jewels&cat=a&country=de
- ↑ http://austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=Marina+%26+The+Diamonds&titel=The+Family+Jewels&cat=a
- ↑ http://www.dutchcharts.nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Marina+%26+The+Diamonds&titel=The+Family+Jewels&cat=a
- ↑ http://www.swisscharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Marina+%26+The+Diamonds&titel=The+Family+Jewels&cat=a
- ↑ http://www.lescharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Marina+%26+The+Diamonds&titel=The+Family+Jewels&cat=a
- ↑ http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/23790/20100305-0000/Issue1045.pdf
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/309458/marina-and-diamonds/chart?f=305
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/309458/marina-and-diamonds/chart?f=324
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/309458/marina-and-diamonds/chart?f=408
- ↑ http://www.metacritic.com/music/the-family-jewels
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_Jewels_(Marina_and_the_Diamonds_album)#cite_note-QM-17
- ↑ http://www.nme.com/reviews/marina-and-the-diamonds/11067
- ↑ http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-marina--the-diamonds-the-family-jewels-679-1896915.html
- ↑ http://www.nme.com/photos/75-best-albums-of-2010/198150/1/1#43